The length of the basic recruit program is 770 hours or about 20 weeks.
ADMISSIONS INFORMATION & PROCESS
Applicants must be 19 years old on the graduation date. Self sponsored applicants must complete and submit the following:
- SCJA Registration Card
- Personal History Form completed and notarized
- Two passport-type photos
- SCJA Live-Scan Fingerprinting Processing for background check
- Polygraph examination
- Tuberculosis (TB) test
- Physician’s clearance form for Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
- Physical Fitness Assessment, CJSTC Form 75B
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of high school diploma and any college degree(s) with transcripts
- Military Discharge Form DD-214
- Applicant Release Form Notarized
- Copy of Florida Drivers License
- Drug Use Guideline Acknowledgement
Self-sponsored applicants will be considered based upon scores from the following:
- Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
- Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (CJBAT-Law Enforcement) with a minimum passing score of 79%.
Click here to view a tutorial titled "CJBAT Test Preparation for Law Enforcement Officer and Correction Officer Candidates." sponsored by I/O Solutions, inc. 2010.
- Oral Board
Agency sponsored students must pass the CJBAT-Law Enforcement, with a minimum score of 79% and complete their paperwork with an agency, which includes a background investigation.
This program is scheduled twice a year. The next Basic Recruit Law Enforcement class will start...
HOW TO REGISTER
Call an SCTI counselor at (941) 924-1365 x62286.
For more information,
contact Capt. Stan Duncan
The 125th florida cms Law Enforcement Officer basic recruit training begins July 14, 2014.
Click here for important dates for the July 2014 training!
The 126th CMS Law Enforcement Officer Basic Recruit training begins January 5, 2015
Click here for important dates for the January 2015 training!
Please contact a SCTI Guidance Counselor at (941) 924-1365 ext. 62286.
The Sarasota Criminal Justice Academy (SCJA), located on the SCTI campus, offers the Basic Law Enforcement Officer Recruit certification program, which prepares you for employment as an entry-level law enforcement officer. The program...
- Meets the requirements of the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission (CJSTC).
- Utilizes standards developed by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and adopted by CJSTC.
You can be sponsored by an employing agency (sheriff's office, police department, etc) or apply for direct admission (must complete and pass an application screening process - see entrance requirements on the right).
- Codes of ethics
- History and evolution of laws
- Introduction to the criminal justice system
- Statutory authority of the FDLE Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission (CJSTC)
- Law and legal procedures
- Law enforcement operations
- Investigation knowledge and skills
- Laws of arrest
- Search and seizure
- Use of force
- Defensive tactics
- Physical fitness
- Controlling and restraining techniques
- Traffic control and direction
- Emergency preparedness techniques
- Communications skills
- Human relations skills.
Practical skills and field experiences are an integral part and include...
- Courtroom demeanor and testifying,
- Report writing,
- Identification, collection and preservation of evidence,
- Interviewing and interrogation techniques,
- Radio communications,
- Patrol techniques,
- Police vehicle operation,
- Defensive tactics and arrest techniques,
- Firearms training,
- Chemical agent application,
- Fingerprinting and sobriety testing,
- Methods to identify, organize and use resources appropriately,
- Social, organizational and technological systems,
- Tools and equipment.
First Responder training is included since officers may need to provide initial care to sick or injured persons.
Graduates are eligible to...
- Take the Law Enforcement State Certification Exam
- After passing the State Officers Certification Exam, and meeting the college criteria, earn 18 credit hours toward an associate degree, through the State College of Florida, in partnership with SCTI. Contact Academy for more information.
Florida CMS Law Enforcement Basic Recruit Training Program
All instructors are certified by FDLE/CJSTC and the Florida Department of Education. SCTI is a CJSTC certified training center.
Law Enforcement officer books & supplies
|Course code||Course title||Hours |
||Introduction to law enforcement
|| 76 |
||CMS First Aid for Criminal Justice Officers
||CMS Criminal Justice Firearms
||CMS Criminal Justice Defensive Tactics
||Criminal Justice Officer Physical Fitness Training
||CMS Law Enforcement Vehicle Operations
|| 56 |
||Crime Scene Investigations
||DUI Traffic Stops
||Dart-firing Stun Gun
||Traffic Crash Investigations